Ram Navami, one of the great festivals of Hindu religion in 2020 is on the 2nd of April 2020, Thursday. According to Nepali calendar, Ram Navami falls in the 00th Chaitra 2076 Bikram Samvat.
Ram Navami (sometimes Ram Navami is spelled as Rama Navami) falls every year on the 9th day of the Hindu lunar year (thus named Chaitra Masa Suklapaksha Navami).
What is Ram Navami
As described in the scriptures of Hinduism as important in the Indian subcontinent, when the power of evil lies on the truth, dishonesty on honesty, sadness on society and the sage culture began to shine, Shri Ram was born to destroy them. The birthday of Shri Ram is celebrated from North to South, east to west of Nepal and India.
This Ramnavami is not only the celebration of the life of Shri Ram but also a reminder of a son, in which a person, with respect to his duties to his father, mother, guru, wife, small brother, in addition to the duties of family and society with due diligence, lived life.
As the seventh incarnation of Vishnu, it is an important festival of Hinduism. Ramnavmi is held publicly in many regions of Nepal. Ram Navami is a festival of Hindu believers.
This festival is celebrated on the Chaitra Shukla Paksha Navami. According to the famous Hindu religion scripture Ramayana, this day is considered as the birthday of Lord Ram Chandra.
This festival marks not only the worshipping of Lord Rama but also of goddess Durga as this festival comes in the midst of Navratri. This festival is considered in the memorial remembrance of Shri Ram, who was born in Ayodhya.
Hindu worshipers worship at Ram temple by waking early in the morning. Especially, the Ram temple located in Battisputali Kathmandu is crowded by the thousands of devotees coming from Lalitpur and Bhaktapur.
Special fair is organized in the Ram Janaki temple situated in Janakpur Nepal where thousands of devotees from India and Nepal arrive to worship Lord Ram and Sita. It’s a tradition for the worshippers to bath in the holy pond of Gangasagar first and then worships at the temple of Lord Ram.
Lord Rama is considered to be the incarnation of Vishnu. Lord Vishnu took human incarnation in the form of Shriram in Tretayug to destroy the atrocities on earth.
Lord Rama is called as ‘Maryada Purushottam’ because, in spite of having many hardships in his lifetime, he presented the best example of a limited life. He did not abandon his ideal in the opposite conditions and lived the high principled life.
So he has been given the place of the best man. There is a phrase namely “Raghukul Reet Sada chali ayee, pran Jaye par Bachan Na Jaye”. Meaning, Lord Rama inspire of hardships had never given up the promise that he had given to his father and spent the life for fourteen years in the forest with Mata Sita and brother Laxman.
On this day especially celebrate the festivities of Lord Rama and celebrate the festival of his birth by organizing various types of worship. Though Lord Rama’s birthday is celebrated with enthusiasm throughout Nepal but in Janakpur, the birthplace of Mother Sita, this festival is celebrated with great joy. A grand fair is organized in Janakpur at Ramnavmi, in which apart from devotees, the saints and ascetics also arrive and celebrate Ram Navami.
On Ramnavmi day, fasting and other religious rituals are organized in Hindu families. His birthday is organized at the time of the birth of Ram Ji and he is welcomed with happiness. Many houses, specially decorated and purified, and Kalash is set up to worship Lord Ram.
On being asked for a boon from Ram Ji’s father Maharaja Dasharath by queen Kaikai, Shriram left the palace and happily accepted 14 years of exile and conquered Lanka by killing arrogant Ravana along with many others during exile.
While leaving Ayodhya, along with Shri Ram, Mata Janaki and Brother Lakshman also accompanied him. That’s why they are also worshipped along with Lord Ram during this day.
A brief introduction to Lord Shre Ram’s life
The eldest son of the four sons of King Dasharath of Ayodhya was Lord Rama. Dasharath had three wives- Kaushalya, Sumitra and Kakayi. Ram had three brothers. Laxman, Bharat, and Shatrughan. Ram was the son of Kaushalya. Sumitra had two sons Lakshman and Shatrughana. Kaikey’s son’s name was Bharat.
Lakshman’s wife’s name was Urmila, Shatrughan’s wife’s name was Shrutkirti and Bharat’s wife was named Mandavi. Sita and Urmila were the daughters of Janak and Mandvi and Shrutkirti were the daughters of Kushdhuj. Laxman had two sons named Angad and Chandraketu. Ram was married to Sita, daughter of King Janak of Mithila.
Lord Shri Ram had all the qualities that are described in the religion. Sri Ram is the soul of Sanatan Dharma, and the devotee of Vedas is the ultimate devotee of Shri Rama. The great epic Ramayana written by Maharishi Valmiki, Shri Ram is the main character. He is the oldest and most uplifted Lord. He is the best example of a good son, a good husband.
He is the 7th incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Shri Ram was born to destroy demon Ravana and save the world from the atrocities of Ravana. Ravana had received this book that he could not die in the hands of any goddess or god, so Lord Vishnu manifested in human form.
Shri Ram and his three brothers Bharat, and Shatrughana got an education in Gurukul of Guru Vashistha. The four brothers became the big knowers of the knowledge of Vedas Upanishads. With all the good qualities and prudence of knowledge, they all became the beloved of their guru.
King Janak of Mithila organized Swayamvara( a tradition where the bride can select the groom of her choice) for his daughter Sita. Kings from abroad were invited to attend this ceremony amongst which Ravana was also present. This conference was attended by Shri Ram, Lakhan, and Guru Vishwamitra.
It was announced that the first person who will be able to break the bow of Lord Shiva will be eligible to marry Sita. One by one all Kings tried bit failed. In the end, by order of Guru Vishwamitra, Shri Ram did this work and became eligible for marriage to Sita.
Due to being the eldest son, Shri Ram had to become the king of Ayodhya by the rule of the state. But the stepmother Kaikey blinded by the love for her son Bharat wanted to make him king. So from Maharaj Dasarath, she sought kingdom for her son and 14 years of exile for Shri Ram. Raja Dasharath had to accept this because he was tied in his words.
Mother Sita and Lakhan also went to exile with Ram. During the exile, Ravana confiscated mother Sita with treachery and took her with him and offered to marry her. Mother Sita did not accept this at any cost. With the help of Bajrang Bali and Vanar Sena, Shri Ram detected Sita and after a huge battle, Ravana was killed.
Shri Ram recovered Mata Sita and after the completion of 14 years of exile, they return their home where they were welcomed by the citizens of Ayodhya.
Interesting facts about Lord Rama
On the day of Ram Navami, Lord Ram took birth in the form of human on this earth to end the evil of Ravana. Let us now know some very interesting facts associated with Lord Rama on this sacred occasion.
1. There are two major books related to Lord Rama – ‘Ramcharita Manas’ by Tulsidas and ‘Valmiki Ramayana’ by Valmiki Ji. But there are many things in the two texts that do not match.
2. Lord Ram is Lord Vishnu’s seventh incarnation. Lakshman is considered to be the incarnation of Sheshnag, which is the seat of Lord Vishnu in Kshirsagar, whereas Bharat and Shatrughan are considered as the incarnations of Sudarshan-Chakra and Shankh-Shell, held in hand by Lord Vishnu, respectively.
3. Ram Name was given by Guru Maharishi Vashishth of the Raghu Dynasty.
4. The incarnation of Rama is not considered a complete embodiment because he knew 14 artifacts. Shri Krishna was a master of sixteen arts. It was because Ravana had received the boon that only a man can kill him.
5. When the purpose of Ram incarnation was proven, Ram Ji had to relinquish his body just like an ordinary man. But it was not possible to reach Ram Ji for Yamraj, whose ultimate devotee was Hanuman.
Therefore Ram Ji dropped his ring in a crack in the ground and asked Hanuman to bring that ring for him. Hanuman Ji searched for the ring and reached the Nagalok. There he asked the Naag King for Lord’s ring.Then the king said that Ram Ji did this to distract his attention so that Yamraj could take Ramji.
6. Small brother Laxman of Ram Ji did not sleep for 14 years for the protection of Sita Maiya and Lord Ram. That’s why his name is Gudakesh. When Rama and Sita were sleeping on the first night of exile, the goddess of sleep appeared before Laxman.
At that time, Laxman requested Goddess to give him such a boon that he would not sleep during the 14 years of exile. Hearing this request of Laxman, goddess being pleased blessed him. She then visited Urmila, sister of Sita and wife of Laxman where after hearing about Laxman’s request. She agreed to sleep instead of him and slept for 14 years.
7. God Indra sent a divine chariot to Ram Ji. Ram had defeated Ravana in the same chariot.
8. God Ram was 27 years old when he was leaving for exile. King Dashrath did not want him to go. That is why Dashrath suggested him to take him captive and sit on the throne.
9. According to Ramcharitra Manas, the war of Ram-Ravana had lasted 32 days, while there was a war for 87 days between the two armies.
10. To reach Lanka, it took just 5 days to build the Ramsetu on the sea.This bridge was 100 yojans long and 10 yojans widespread. One yojan equals about 13 km. It is believed that this story is about 1,750,000 years ago.
NASA has recently discovered a man-made ancient bridge connecting Sri Lanka and India and according to researchers and archaeologists, the period of the construction of this bridge is relevant to the Ramayana epic This bridge, discovered by NASA’s satellites, is called “bridge of Adam” and its length is approximately 30 kilometers.
11. It is believed that Goddess Sita used to easily pick up the bow of Lord Shiva during her childhood. Therefore, king Janak had laid the condition of breaking the bow during the Swayamvara of Sita.
12. It is believed that the three streaks on squirrels are due to the blessings of Lord Rama. Actually, when RamSetu was being built to attack Lanka, a squirrel was also helping in this work. Seeing his devotion, Shriram lovingly favored his fingers on his back and since then the streaks on the squirrels are present.
13. Ravan himself considered invincible, but once King Anaranya cursed him that the young man born of his lineage would become the cause of his death. Shri Rama was born in the line of Anaranya.
14. Lord Ram had four brothers – Ram, Laxman, Bharat, Shatrughan, and he had an elder sister named Shanta. However, Kausalya had given her daughter for adoption by her brother and sister in law.
15. The name of Ramji’s bow was named Kodand.
16. In 1000 names of Lord Vishnu, Ram name is entered at number 394. Research suggests that Lord Rama was born 7122 years ago ie 5114 BC. According to other experts, Ram was born about 9,000 years ago (7323 BC) from today.
The position of the constellations written in Valmiki Ramayana is calculated from software called ‘Planetarium’ then the said date is detected. It is a software that can predict the coming solar and lunar eclipse and calculate the planet status and weather for the last millions of years.
17. Lord Vishnu’s incarnation Parashuram did not know that Shri Rama is also Vishnu-incarnation. Therefore, he asked Ram Ji to ascend the bow of Vishnu Ji, which Ram Ji easily made and Parshuram Ji also knew the real nature of Ram Ji.
18. Ravana was the greatest scientist of his time, therefore, once Ramji called Ravana as Maha Brahmin. And at the time of his death, he sent Laxman to acquire knowledge from Ravana.
19. Before attacking Lanka, Shriram made Shiva Ling in Rameswaram and worship Lord Shiva. Even today, Rameswaram is counted among the most prominent pilgrim centers of Hindus.
20. In the Swayamvara of Sita Ji, Ram Ji broke the bow of Shiva, whose name was Pinak.
21. The forest where Lord Ram, Sita, and Laxman had spent the 14 years of their exile was called Dandakaranya.
22. Sri Ram’s mother Kaushalya, was the princess of the country named Kaushal. Her father’s name was Sakaushal and her mother’s name was Amrit Prabha.
23. During exile, Shri Rama killed a cursed monster named Kabandha. He had suggested to Ram for his friendliness with Sugriva.
24. Bharat had already had the impression of his father’s death. He saw in the dream that his father was wearing Garland of red flowers in black clothes, sitting in a chariot and going to the south direction (Yama Disha). And the women in yellow dress were throwing flowers on him.
25. Gayatri Mantra forms with the first letter coming after every 1000 shloka of the Ramayana. Gayatri Mantra contains 24 letters and Valmiki Ramayana has 24,000 verses.
The first letter that comes after every 1000 shloka of Ramayana becomes Gayatri Mantra. This mantra is the essence of this sacred epic. Gayatri Mantra is first mentioned in the Rig Veda.
26. It is mentioned in the Ramayana that Shri Rama did not want to give his brother Laxman death penalty. Why did Lord Ram has given Laxman the death penalty? This incident had happened at that time when Shri Ram returned to Ayodhya and became the king of Ayodhya. One day Yama Devta came to Shri Ram to have an important discussion.
Before starting the discussion he said to Lord Rama to promise him that no one should come while they are having conversations. If anyone happens to come, Ram had to give him a death sentence.
So Rama promised Yamraj accordingly and appointed Laxman as the guard. Laxman became the gatekeeper but after some time, Rishi Durwasa arrived there and asked Laxman to inform Ram about his arrival.
With humility, Laxman denied his request. But Durwasa in his anger warned Laxman that he would curse whole Ayodhya if Laxman didn’t inform Ram about his arrival.
So Laxman decided that he would rather sacrifice himself to save the inhabitants of Ayodhya. He went to I form Ram.
Shri Ram found himself in discomfort because he had to now give Laxman the death penalty. In the event of this dilemma, Shri Ram remembered his guru Vasishta and asked to show some way.
Gurudev said that renouncing any of his favorite things is similar to death. So he should give up Lakshman to follow his word. But as soon as Laxman heard this, he told Rama not to separate him. So he would rather embrace death.
27. It is also said that Lord Rama had made a fast of Ekadashi to cross the sea along the way while going to protect Mother Sita from Ravana.
28. Because of the never-ending Ram-Ravana’s war, Agastya Muni asked Ram to recite Aditya Hridaya Stotra.
29. At that time when king Dashrath Ji performed Yagya to attain son, he was 60 thousand years.
30. According to Ramcharitramanas, Parasurama had come in the middle of Sitaji’s Swayamvara. But according to Balmiki Ramayana, when Lord Ram and mother Sita were going to Ayodhya, Parshuram Ji had met them in the middle of the road.
31. When Laxman came to know that Shri Rama got the order of exile then he became very angry and went to Shri Rama and talked to him for the war against his own father. But later he calmed down after the explanation by Ramji.
32. When Dasharath Ji asked Shri Ram for exile, he wanted Shri Ram Ji to take a lot of money and daily use goods with him. But Kaikai refused all these things also.
33. According to Hindu beliefs, there are 33 million gods and goddesses in this universe. But according to Balmiki Ramayana, there are 33 types of goddesses and God’s.
34. Everyone knows that when Mata Sita was kidnapped by Ravana, Jatayu tried to save her and sacrificed himself. But according to Ram Valmiki Ramayana, it was not Jatayu but his father Aruna.
35. While performing his duty towards his country, Shri Ram took the Agniparikshya(fire exam) of Mata sita. Then left her in the ashram of Valmiki. Later, when Shri Ram again asked Mother Sita for examination, Mother Sita sacrificed herself in the earth.
After that, Shri Ram and his son, Kush, ran to hold hands of mother Sita, but it was too late. After this incident, Shri Rama was very much convinced that he sustained the Rajdharma but his dear wife also had to suffer a lot. Sometime after that, Lord Ram took the Water Tomb in the Sarayu River.
36. Ramji stayed in Lanka for 111 days and Mata sita stayed there for 435 days.
I am Jitendra Sahayogee, a writer of 12 Nepali literature books, film director of Maithili film & Nepali short movies, photographer, founder of the media house, designer of some websites and writer & editor of some blogs, has expert knowledge & experiences of Nepalese society, culture, tourist places, travels, business, literature, movies, festivals, celebrations.