Get here some facts, information, and biography of Madame Marie Curie with her some famous quotes. We have posted here some of the collected information about famous scientist Madame Marie Curie. We have some inspirational quotes by Marie Curie too. Not only that we are here with some chemistry quotes by Marie Curie.
Madame Marie Curie Famous Quotes with Biography
Madame Marie Curie was a famous scientist. She was born on 7 Nov 1867 AD in Warsaw, the capital of Poland. Her childhood name was Maria Sklodowska. She was the fifth and the last child of her parents. Both of her parents were lowly paid, teachers. Her father lost his job when she was 6 and her mother died when she was 11 years. She was simple, sharp, intelligent and witty from her early childhood. Although her parents were poor, she got good educational and cultural environment at home.
She graduated from high school at the age of 16 with a gold medal. At that time, girls were not allowed to pursue higher studies in Poland. Her relatives realized that she had the high potentiality of doing something great provided she was given right opportunity. Her parents were poor, and there was no way that they could send her to a foreign country for higher studies. Hence, she became a teacher for some time.
Paris and Her Discoveries:
Later in 1889, her relatives managed to send her to Paris for higher studies. She joined Sorbonne University. She studied math and physics and graduated with first class first in 1893. She got a scholarship to study mathematics. She met Professor Perry Curie in 1894. Their relationship grew into life partners. They got married in 1895. She then became Marie Curie or Madam Marie Curie. They both worked together to carry out several scientific researches. With the help of her husband, she did her Ph.D. on ‘A Study of the Properties of Uranium.’ During their research, they discovered radio wave and an important element in 1898. They named it Polonium to commemorate Madam Curie’s native Poland. They continued their research. They got 10,000 kg uranium (pitch blende rock) and conducted several experiments on it. At last, at one night of November 1898, she was so happy to have seen a dazzling light of blue colour coming out The light disappeared when she switched on the light. Thus, they discovered radium. It was the radium producing that kind of light For this discovery, both of the Curie couple and her Professor Antoine Henri Becquerel were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1903. Radium is used these days to treat cancer.
Her husband died in a road accident in 1906, but she continued her researches. She discovered radio activity. She was again awarded the Noble Prize in 1911, this time for Chemistry. Thus, she became the first woman not only to receive the Noble Prize but a woman ever to receive two Noble Prizes in science. She also had got 15 gold medals and 19 different degrees.
She established the ‘Curie Institute of Radium’ in the memory of her late husband at the University of Paris. She also established Radium Institute in Warsaw. As she worked in the radioactive environment she got cancer and died on 4th July 1934. She was a hardworking and committed person. She believed in quality and continuous striving. What she did achieve is unprecedented in the human history. We can learn many valuable lessons from her struggle and achievements.
Marie Curie Famous Quotes / Inspirational Quotes by Marie Curie
- Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less. Quotes by Marie CurieA scientist in his laboratory is not a mere technician: he is also a child confronting natural phenomena that impress him as though they were fairy tales. Quotes by Marie Curie
- I have frequently been questioned, especially by women, of how I could reconcile family life with a scientific career. Well, it has not been easy. Quotes by Marie Curie
- After all, science is essentially international, and it is only through lack of the historical sense that national qualities have been attributed to it. Quotes by Marie Curie
- All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child. Quotes by Marie Curie
- There are sadistic scientists who hurry to hunt down errors instead of establishing the truth. Quotes by Marie Curie
- I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy. Quotes by Marie Curie
- Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained. Quotes by Marie Curie
- Be less curious about people and more curious about ideas. Quotes by Marie Curie
- One never notices what has been done; one can only see what remains to be done. Quotes by Marie Curie
- I have no dress except the one I wear every day. If you are going to be kind enough to give me one, please let it be practical and dark so that I can put it on afterwards to go to the laboratory. Quotes by Marie Curie
- I am one of those who think like Nobel, that humanity will draw more good than evil from new discoveries. Quotes by Marie Curie
- In science, we must be interested in things, not in persons. Quotes by Marie Curie