Get here some 100 interesting facts about Kathmandu Nepal. As we all know that Kathmandu is the capital of Nepal, read here some 100 important facts about the capital of Nepal. Be updated with facts about Kathmandu valley.
Kathmandu Nepal – 100 Facts About Capital of Nepal That Amaze You
1. Kathmandu is the capital of our country – Nepal. 2. It lies in Central Development Region. 3. It lies in Bagmati Zone. 4. It is the biggest urban city of Nepal. 5. It was once named Kantipur which meant City of Glory
6. It is believed to have been established in the 900s AD 7. People in the capital of Nepal bow their head to greet other people. 8. It has the slowest internet of 256kbps 9. The slogan ‘Unity in Diversity’ is in a class of its own in Kathmandu 10. Kathmandu Valley may have been inhabited as early as 300 BC.
11. The valley is surrounded by four major mountains- Shivapuri, Phulchoki, Nagarjun, and Chandragiri. 12. The ancient trade route between India and Tibet that passed through Kathmandu 13. Within the radius of 15km, Kathmandu has the densest UNESCO listed World Heritage Sites among the capitals of the world. 14. The most famous street in Kathmandu is called the Freak Street in Basantapur. 15. Kathmandu Valley consists of the three ancient cities – Kathmandu, Patan, and Bhaktapur.
16. The capital of Nepal is the gateway to tourism in Nepal because of its popularity. 17. Kathmandu Valley stands at an elevation of approx 1,400 m. 18. It has 130 significant monuments, pilgrimage sites for Hindus and Buddhists. 19. Religious and cultural festivities form a major part of the lives and cultures of people residing in the valley. 20. Most follow Hinduism and other follow Buddhism.
21. The Newari community is indigenous inhabitants of the valley. 22. Thamel is Kathmandu’s central junction for tourist 23. It has the area of 150.67sq km 24. It has the population of 1 million. 25. It is situated in the central Nepal and the Himalayas.
26. Its longitude is 85.22 to 85.36 degree East 27. Its latitude is 23.43 to 23.71.02 degree North 28. The climate in summer is 36C to 22C . 29. The climate in winter is 18C to 0C 30. Best time to visit the capital of Nepal is October to March.
31. It has only one international airport. 32. The STD code is +977-1 33. There are no railway facilities. 34. The most used language is Nepali and Newari. 35. The popular fast food is mo:mo.
36. There are varieties of shopping malls and cinema halls. 37. Most crowded area of Nepal. 38. Traffic jams are the drawback of Kathmandu. 39. The must visit Stupas are Boudhanath and Swayambunath. 40. City of celebrities.
41. Durbar Marg is a commercial area. 42. Metropolitan Kathmandu is divided into five sectors: the Central Sector, the East Sector, the North Sector, the City Core and the West Sector. 43. Pashupatinath is the most visited area for the religious purpose. 44. It has the most advanced infrastructure of any urban area in Nepal 45. The capital was severely damaged by earthquakes in 1934 and 2015.
46. More recently, luxury hotels and casinos have drawn tourists from India. 47. It serves as the home of more than half of the population of Nepal. 48. In ancient times Kathmandu Valley was actually a huge lake called Nagdaha. 49. Kathmandu derived its name from the unique temple, Kaasthamandap 50. The Capital of Nepal had never been ruled by foreigners.
I am Jitendra Sahayogee, a writer of 12 Nepali literature books, film director of Maithili film & Nepali short movies, photographer, founder of the media house, designer of some websites and writer & editor of some blogs, has expert knowledge & experiences of Nepalese society, culture, tourist places, travels, business, literature, movies, festivals, celebrations.