Find here 11 facts about Gadhimai festival of Nepal. Here we have posted some interesting, amazing and some are disgusting facts about this Gadhimai mela. Things to do in Gadhimai festival of Nepal in 2014 is stop the animal sacrifice.
11 facts about Gadhimai Festival of Nepal
The goddess of Gadhi Mai is believed to have seven sisters, namely Gadhi Mai, Virta Mai (Birganj), Boudhi Mai (Madhuwan, Bara), Sansari Mai (Shiva Nagar, Pothiyahi), Kanhar Mai (Sameera Bagadh) and Ghodashi Mai (Dharampur, Rautahat district). Every five years these seven sisters assemble in one place on the auspicious occasion of the Gadhi Mai fair. The Bariyarpur village becomes the marvellous scenic spot for animal sacrifice. This fair provides a national and international forum for fraternity, brotherhood and mutual understanding among the devotees visiting it. This fair lasts for twenty days.
As we know that sacrificing animal is not things to do. But this is things to do in Gadhimai festival of Nepal. which is not good. We should stop the animal sacrifice.
1. More than two lakh fifty thousands (250,000) animals (buffalo, goats, chickens and pigs) are killed in this festival (mela). It is supposed that last festival which was held in 2009, November, approx. 500,000 animals were sacrificed in 2009. More than 20,000 buffaloes were killed on the 1st day.
picture source: kinshipcircle.org
2. Gadhimai festival is held every five years at the end of month November. And this year 2014 is now turned; going to be held. It lasts one month during the November. So, Gadhimai festival Nepal 2014 is going to be held in this November.
picture source: france24.com
picture source: google map
4. All those slaughtered animals are taken to nearby villages and small town and eaten in the feasts by the devotees.
picture source: fabian.com
5. Gadhimai festival is celebrated by the Nepal. This festival is dedicated to Gadhimai temple. For you kind information, Gadhimai temple is located in Bariyarpur village in Bara District. This village, Bariyarpur, Bara is about 100 miles (160 km) far from the Kathmandu, capital of Nepal. This temple is south of the Kathmandu valley in Terai region.
picture source: occupyforanimals.org
6. Gadhimai festival is supposed as the festival of world’s largest sacrificial slaughter of animals. Animals may be buffaloes, pigs, goats, chicken and pigeons.
picture source: demotix.com
7. The main goal of devotees is to please the Goddess Gadhimai Devi. She is supposed the goddess of power in Hindu religion. Participants believe that animal sacrifices will end the evil and bring prosperity in their life.
picture source: YouTube
8. During the November month, there are huge crowed of devotees and animals in this area. It is estimated that more than 5 million people from all over the Nepal and some southern states (Uttar Pradesh and Bihar) of India participate in the festival.
picture source: demotix.com
9. Majority of people who have gone there for animal sacrifice are Madheshi or terai. People from the Indian states of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar also use to come here form animal sacrifice.
10. There are more than 200 men to kill the animals in a concrete slaughterhouse near the Gadhimai temple.
picture source: emsnews.wordpress.com
10+1. After the festival is ended, companies in India and Nepal buy all the meats and bones of animals.
picture source: piepvandaag.nl